Note: Dear readers, please excuse my emotions and any profanity in this opinion piece about the incompetent and stupid whores that are our CURRENTLY elected official in Congress.
The root of the debt crisis is simple – our government spends more money then it receives.
As I have written in previous posts, there are only three ways to deal with this:
1) Cut government spending till the amount we spend = what our government receives in revenues (taxes) – known as the Extremist Republican Doctrine
2) Increase the amount our government receives in revenues (taxes) till it = what our government spends – known as the Extremist Democratic Doctrine
3) Cut government spending, and increase revenue (taxes) till they equal the same number – known as the Duh Doctrine
For the details as to why the only real solution is the Duh Doctrine, please see my previous posts:
The US Economic Crisis – Spending, Debt and Possible Solutions
Top Boston University Economist Laurence Kotlikoff says the U.S. Is Bankrupt and should double taxes
This article is not about our long-term national debt problem – it is about the current short-term and unnecessary issue about raising the National Debt Ceiling.
The Long-Term solution to the Debt Crisis AND the National Debt, is to reduce the Budget by 50%, and increase Taxes by 20% – which will balance the budget, and reduce our national debt to zero in 10 years. It will devastate our economy, but it will solve the problem, and 10 years from now our country will have a bright future for our children. This is what was done in WWII – it is call sacrificing for the betterment of our children.
Let’s just review some facts:
1) There has always been a debate about raising the National Debt Ceiling, and it has always been raised (see chart):
2) The problem is NOT the National Debt Ceiling, it is the larger issue of how do we pay off $15+ Trillion dollar National Debt, when we incur an additional $1.5 Trillion in Debt each year?
3) The debate about the National Debt Ceiling is an election maneuver:
- The Republicans want to make Obama look bad by this debate so he will lose the election, which is why the House Speaker John Boehner (Ohio – R) plan is a short-term solution with the next raising of the Debt Limit debate timed just before the election.
- The Democrats do NOT want to have the debate before the election, which is why the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reed (Nevada – D) plan raises the Debt Limit enough so the next debate is after the next election.
4) Both plans reduce National Deficit by about $1+ Trillion in about 10 years – still not enough to have a balanced budget, and it will have a net impact of still INCREASING our National Debt!
5) The National Debt can NOT be reduced until we have Budget surpluses. Something that has only happened once during the last century!!
6) The fact is that neither of the currently proposed bills that Congress is voting on addresses the real issue – $15 Trillion US National debt and $1.5 Trillion annual budget deficit.
Let’s add salt our wounds
So, the morons in Congress have decided that winning next years elections should cost our country dearly.
The ‘Debt Crisis’ is an election driven debate – it is NOT about what is best for the country.
So, let’s see who is to blame.
Note: In order to raise the Debt Ceiling, the House has to pass a bill, that the Senate must pass, and the President must sign. It takes all three.
The House of Representatives of the United States
The House currently has a Republican majority, and is the party that has made this an issue. All that had to do was pass the standard raise the debt limit bill like they have under Republican and Democratic presidents. Instead, Boehner smelled blood for the 2012 election if he could make the President look bad, and since they couldn’t make an issue of this President’s lack of intelligence or that he has his dick sucked by interns – they decided to try the “it’s all his fault that we are talking about this instead of JOBS” routine. The Senate and the President will NOT pass this bill.
The Senate of the United States
The Senate currently has a Democratic majority, and wants to punt the real decision and debate till after the 2012 election. They have a bill that extends the Debt Limit debate till after the election, and reduces the Debt by about $1.7 Trillion over 10 years. The Senate will pass this bill and the President will sign it. The House will not pass the bill.
The President of the United States
The Republicans want to make this guy look like Satan, since he is a Democrat looking to get re-elected next year, and Barack Obama has been fighting that. His way was to broker a deal with the Republicans, that would reduce the deficit by $4 Trillion+ over 10 years, and would push the Debt Limit debate out pass the election. In the end they had a deal that made a significant impact on the Deficit and was a balanced approached involving significant budget reductions, with some minor tax loopholes that effected the wealthy and added a small amount to the revenue the government receives. Since it did not solve the Republican requirement that the Debt debate take place before the election, John Boehner walked out of the discussions.
For me, the Blame belongs to:
The House of Representatives Republicans for their insistence that the Debt Ceiling debate takes place before the election; and for not passing a plan that the Senate and President have agreed to – which would solve the short-term problem.
The blame also falls on the American people, for allowing a two-party system funded by corporations and special interest to develop, leaving our government grid locked before any election – and not allowing for a real solution that would involve sacrifice for the betterment of our country and our children’s future.
What to do?
We only have a few days before the Debt Limit issue starts affecting our country.
So, what can we do:
1) Use www.dearpolitician.org to write your politicians and push them to vote to simply eliminate the Debt Ceiling in the first place. Also tell them that if they don’t vote/produce/pass for a balanced budget for next year, that you will vote them out of office in the next election.
- For more information on www.dearpolitician.org:
2) Call your House of Representative, and tell them to vote to simply eliminate the Debt Ceiling in the first place. Also tell them that if they don’t vote/pass a balanced budget for next year, that you will vote them out of office in the next election.
3) Live your life simply. Pay off your debt, reduce spending and save money, you will need it later when our economy collapses under the weight of our National Debt.
4) Stop watching FOX News AND MSNBC. Both are stupid. They are blaring the extremist sides of the issues and both are biased. There is nothing more you need then the facts: our country is in debt, our future in jeopardy, and we need to cut the budget and raise taxes. Vote for people who will do that.
5) Go solar if you can – when our electric grid collapses from cyber attacks, lack of maintenance and/or increased demand from global climate change – you will still have some electricity.
6) If you believe that America must cut the budget significantly and raise taxes significantly in order to make a secure future for it’s children – run for office on that platform and vote for people who do the same.
Good Luck America.